Monday, July 2, 2007

Nutty Brown Throwdown

Yesterday, the Austin Duathletes headed out on an experimental ride that I named and Panther picked the route for, the "Nutty Brown Throwdown". On paper this was a nice ride out on little traveled roads Southwest of Austin. But that is why these things are not contested on paper...

A group of approximately 15 of us set out from the Nutty Brown Cafe a little past 8 AM and headed towards Pedernales Falls State Park which would serve as our turnaround, this would give us a total route distance of about 50 miles. The views out there are really pretty, but Fitzhugh Road, though lightly traveled is constantly up and down with very little flats to just rest.


The first thirteen miles I dropped back a bit and rode with my wife as the "A" group rode ahead. After she made her turn and headed back, I decided to drop the hammer a bit and try to catch the faster group. This was my first mistake as this really killed my energy later in the ride. I caught the main group as they were stopped above a hellish downhill that led to a low water crossing.

Of course I also learned that Panther had just wrecked himself and Erin and Kris. Good going, coach. Luckily everyone was okay.

After the water crossing it was only about 3-5 hilly miles to the turnaround. At the entrance to the park a series of unfortunate events led to Shorey falling. And I feel terrible because I was the cause of at least one of these events. Sorry, Shorey.

After riding to the park office to get some cold water (adding about 5 totally hill laden miles to the route) it was time to head back to the Nutty Brown. The ride back seemed like a never ending scene from a cyclist's nightmare...hills, hills, hills, and heat. Erin had apparently had enough and completely dropped the hammer and tore back to the NB. Kris also was picking up what she was laying down as she also really sucked it up and finished strong. I had to make one extra water stop, as I sweat like a fire hydrant has been opened, but made it back shortly after them. Afterwards we all caught our breath and had some good grub and a few drinks at the Nutty Brown.

So in total we had...
50 very hilly, difficult miles
5 riders go down (1 being a Texas Iron guy that rode with us a bit)
3 SAG casualties
1 very patient wife holding tables for us as at the Nutty Brown

3 comments:

Kris said...

The more I think about it, the more awesome the ride was, and I can't think of a better group of people to do it with!

And many, many, many thanks to Carri for being so incredibly patient and holding that table for us!

Erin said...

Yes, praise Carri.

Are these long rides like childbirth? You forget how painful they are and remember them only as fun, great times with a wonderful group of friends?

Shorey said...

I was seriously considering just carrying my bike back the last 15 miles. It would have been easier than riding. I was somewhat disappointed, yet excited at the same time, to see Panther come and offer to give us a ride back - with only 3 miles to go. My bruises are NASTY... Great pics - but why does Panther look like he's got horns??