Monday, July 16, 2007

Katy Flatlands Century Recap

This past weekend a group of eight Camp Punishment members headed down to Katy to participate in the Katy Flatland Century. Here is my recap...

Notes from Saturday:

1. Houston sure has a lot of roads under construction.
2. The Imperial Rome exhibit is not an Imax movie.
3. At Antonio's chicken is a vegetarian option.
4. If Lulu wants to camp, do not argue.

Notes from Sunday:
1. Riding in the pouring rain can be fun. (Until you get home and have to drain the water from your bike.)
2. Glenda is one tough cookie, and I am glad she is okay.
3. Helpful SAG people do not always know the correct ride route.
4. Kris is a good sport even after receiving a standing ovation.
5. Pickle Juice Sport is apparently the miracle cure.
6. The water at rest stop (mile 86) was the most foul, vile tasting water I think I have ever drank.
7. Dropping the "Pickle Hammer" at mile 92 is just not right.
8. 105 miles is a long distance regardless of terrain.
9. Beer and a grape snow cone are great finish line treats.

Overall it was a great time. Carri and Michelle did an amazing job riding the 60 mile route, and Panther, Erin, Kris, Glenda, and Lulu all did great on the century plus route. I think everyone in the group, besides Michelle, rode their greatest single event distance ever. That is quite an accomplishment and a darn fine showing from Camp Punishment.

4 comments:

Shorey said...

excellent recap - short & sweet. hey, do you need the AD discount code for Toughest? if so, just let me know.

Tim said...

shorey i already signed up for the toughest and used the code panther sent out, thanks

Erin said...

way to go, SC! your advice was brilliant.

-SP

Lulu said...

Here are my notes from your blog:

1. Very keen observation about #4 from Sat. Was it possibly all the f-bombs I dropped on Panther during his lecture?

2. I *heart* pickle juice.

3. Don't act like you weren't pushing a hard 23 right before the 86 rest stop 'just because;.

4. That was the most fun I have had on a workout in a long time. Last night I was telling Charlie about your thoughts about going to Chuck E Cheese for dinner "I'm down so long as they ahev whack-a-mole".

Good times!!