Saturday, June 30, 2007

iPhone - First Impressions


So yesterday was the big day, the iPhone drop. I decided that it would be nice to have one of them so I searched out an AT&T store close to the house and did a bit of scouting. At around 2 pm I went and got some lunch at the restaurant next door and there were only about 8 people in line. I thought this is promising. So at roughly 5 pm I headed back over there, telling myself that if there was a big crowd I would just skip it but as it ended up it really was not that bad. I ended up being #29 in line. So after an hour wait and a few chapters of my book I had a shiny new 8 GB iPhone (the last 8 GB one that the store had btw).

So here is my real question...

The first person in line got there at 6 pm Thursday. The second person in line got there at 9 AM Friday. And I got there at 5 pm Friday and got the same phone as them. Now if you are #2 or especially #1 do you feel let down that you spent 24 hours waiting for a phone and guy shows up one hour before and gets the same thing? Also are you just a little bummed that you have waited 24 hours and the transaction takes all of 5 minutes? Just wondering.

Alright here are my thoughts about the iPhone after having it for a little over 24 hours.

1. Very cool phone, the internet is really nice and robust. Nice to have full Internet and not some watered down WAP version.

2. Visuals are incredible. Nice to be able to load your own pictures and have them as desktop, call picture, etc.

3. Straight forward just like my Mac.

4. I really like the wi-fi feature, with all the hotspots in Austin this should make the reliance on the Edge network minimal.

Now before you think it is all roses there are some annoying things that hopefully will be worked out with an update by Apple shortly.

5. Have to use the provided ringtones. That makes no sense that you cannot use an iTunes song for a ringtone. I mean it is an iPod as well.

6. You have to create a playlist to import songs into the iPod feature. This differs then any other iPods where you just drag and drop from your Library. Minor annoyance.

7. Some of the existing iPod accessories do not work. For example I have an older iPod in my car that plays though my car stereo with an aux cable, the iPhone would not work in this capacity.

Well that is it. Enjoy.

3 comments:

Erin said...

So, how did the pictures from the ride turn out? I'm a little afraid to see my expression. :)

Lulu said...

Glaad your iPhone experience is going well so far - if you are riding with it in your jersey and after your Nutty Brown report - please dont call me about cracked LCD ;)

Shorey said...

I would imagine that Apple wanted to have the features you mention as "missing" but they had to draw the line somewhere otherwise the launch would be delayed. Sounds cool - can't wait to see it live!