Monday, January 12, 2009

Painfully Slow

This year I am really focusing on cycling and for the first time will be following a program that does not only include specific mileage but also incorporates specific HR zones to cycle within. In the past I have generally just gone out and ridden based on feeling and never payed attention to recovery days, interval days, hill days, etc.

Today I did my first ride strictly in Zone 1 which for me is below 125 BPM. Everything I read states the importance of this easy ride every week. Let me tell you though this was one of the hardest rides I have ever done as it was painfully slow. I'm talking watch paint dry, granny with a walker passing me slow. I did my best but lost focus for less than a minute and put on just a MPH or two and my HR crept up to 140. Focus, Tim, focus.

Overall my average HR fell in the correct zone but I need to get rid of the few spikes. Tomorrow it is back to the fun stuff and hills.

Enjoy the ride.

No comments: