Monday, August 13, 2007

Movie Reviews

Generally my blogs have dealt with races, riding, or other active events, but that is not what life is all about. Life is about so much more. So moving forward I am going to try to expand my blogs to other things going on in the life of a 35 year old male in Austin, TX. Tonight I am going to give brief reviews of recently watched movies.

First run movies -

The Simpsons- Pretty much what I expected. Short sweet and to the point. Pretty darn, funny and a good way to beat the heat. If you live in Austin you have to see it at the Alamo. Not only do they have Simpson shorts before the movie but you can get Duff beer.

Sunshine- This is the latest movie by Danny Boyle the man behind 28 Days Later, Trainspotting, and the often overlooked but fabulous Shallow Grave. This movie is a Sci-Fi flick but it just fell flat for me. The premise was very cool and there are some interesting concepts but no real pay off. Kind of a let down.

The Bourne Ultimatum- This is the third Bourne movie and I liked the previous two, so I had high hopes for this one. I think it was a pretty good movie, but did not really play up the strengths of the previous two. Usually Bourne relies heavily on multiple car chase scenes, this one had only one. Also the fight scenes in this movie seemed too staged. Overall I was a little disappointed, but still thought it was better than most modern action films.

Rentals:

The Premonition-Let me preface this by saying that I have much greater movie knowledge than Carri and I usually pick the movies we see. This was one of hers that we did not catch in the theaters so we rented it this weekend. Let me just say that Carri and I both have a Premonition...Sandy's movie career has gone in the shitter ever since Speed (besides Crash which was an ensemble cast), and we hope that she has a future in her restaurant. This movie was so bad. Do they not have people that watch these movies before release? Maybe that could be my new job. "Excuse me your movie sucks and you are going to lose money", that will be $50,000 please.

Maxed Out- This was a doc about how Americans spend so much money on credit. Kind of scary, but it did not really have the punch of some of the better docs I have seen.

The Descent- We had seen this one before in the theater but it is such an amazing movie we had to get it again. If you are claustrophobic, this movie will scare the pants off of you. Also it is just a great horror film. It was nice to see the original ending. I highly recommend this movie.

The Number 23- Seriously you think the twist at the end can make up for the hour and a half of garbage you just force fed me. Pppppplllllllease.

Zodiac- My uncle worked for the SFPD just after the Zodiac case so I had additional interest in this movie. Couple that with the fact that it was by David Fincher (Fight Club, Se7en) and you had me hooked. I thought the movie was a little long but other than that it was a great crime film. I would certainly recommend this film as well.

So to wrap up, this is my first in hopefully a semi-regular segment of movie reviews. My recommendations are check out the Simpsons at the Alamo, see the Bourne Ultimatum if you have seen the first two, get a good scare by The Descent, and catch Zodiac even thought the SFPD were never able to.

Enjoy and pass the popcorn.

3 comments:

Lulu said...

I was telling Mike I wanted to take Cooper's mini DVD player down into Airman's Cave (on the greenbelt) and watch the Descent. That would be freaking amazing!!

Missychel said...

i don;t really get to watch movies very often but when i do it's 100% alamo!!!

when is the new one gonna open?

Shorey said...

Great reviews! I like this addition to your blog.