Friday, March 14, 2008

SXSW - Day 2

Start: 7 PM

Well I tried to get into the Body of War showcase but when I hit Stubb's the line stretched all the way from the door down to 9th street back along Red River and almost to 8th so I knew there was no way I was getting in there. So I wandered the streets a bit just soaking in the huge influx of people.

My first stop of the night was at Barcelona to check out Shepard Fairey. Basically this was a DJ set and the only reason I was interested in it is Shepard is the founder/designer/guru of Obey so I was hoping they would have a cool poster for the gig and they did.

Next it was off to the Music Hall to hunker down for a few hours. First up at AMH were The Whigs and they put on a pretty good show. The Music Hall seems a little big for what they can do and they would have been better suited at a smaller venue. Next was Yo La Tengo, I do not know much of their stuff but they put on a pretty noise filled set. Finally, what I had been waiting for My Morning Jacket. They played for almost two hours and it was absolutely fabulous. Traveling the festival circuit they have certainly honed their craft to an art form. A great mix of new songs and favorites with a really intense light show. Certainly the highlight of my festival so far.

After MMJ I thought about hitting some afterparties but decided sleep was more important.

End: 1 AM

No comments: